VOLLEY-BOY

Picture for representation only; Photo by Ellena McGuinness on Unsplash

"Shy, short, plumpy, wheatish in complexion" is what i saw when i heard someone say "hey volley boy, go get the ball."

I finished my daily dose of gym and headed straight to the volleyball court. This was our daily routine. I met some like minded people at JNI. One thing which was most common amongst us was our interest and love for volleyball. Other than that, we were all of different sizes, shapes and colours (maybe the shape was also common for most of us - round)😃. That's where i saw this person for the first time. Everybody would call him volley-boy, otherwise he was known as Prince. He was like a twelfth man in cricket, he would fetch the ball, get water etc and will get to play only when the number of players are less or somebody gets injured or moved out. I got to see the volley-boy almost everyday when i played volleyball.

People would make fun of him (not all but few of them) but i never saw him worried about it, rather he always appeared smiling and was ever ready to comply or do what was asked of him. I wondered, people make fun of him still he laughs, never complains and best of all he himself enjoys being a part of those jokes. He never gets angry or retaliates.Many times i thought of intervening and making those folks realise what they are doing is wrong, but resisted my temptations. I was not sure how the "volley-boy" will react to it, how will others take it, will this change the entire equation? Will it really help him and make it worse for him? While i did not had answers to most of these questions, but i promised to find the answers as soon as i get an opportunity.

One day, i saw him sitting alone during dinner and i thought it was a good opportunity to speak with him and know why he is doing what he is doing. I had so many questions in my mind - why he takes it easy, how he takes it so easy, why he doesn't retaliate or confront, why he allows people to make his fun and many more. Seeing him alone i wasn't able to control and wanted to pout all my questions at once, but common sense in me prevailed and i took it easy.

I slowly approached him, being very cautious not knowing how he will react. Will be bite, will he attack, i hope he doesn't shout at me - is what was going on in my mind. I am not sure how and what made me get this impression of him but somehow i thought he is very closed and not friendly (everybody forms their perception, i did too).

My perception was proved wrong ( i am glad it was wrong), all my fears and assumptions were put to rest. When i approached him, he had a big smile on his face and was so welcoming. Not only that, he was super polite and courteous. I could not believe myself, on what basis and how did i made that perception of him, maybe the surroundings made me think that or may be the situation around him made me made that perception! After initial greetings and generic discussions (to set the tempo), i opened up with him and asked him what was going on in my mind, though i was little reluctant however those thoughts were tired of running continuously in my mind and i wanted to give them a much deserved rest (as if they were my horses and they just won the race 😎). It was an eye opening conversation with him and i am so very glad that i spoke to him. What he said opened my eyes and changed my thinking forever. He said, Praveen let me share three secrets with you, these are simple yet very effective if you think...

1. People laugh at me (read as people laugh because of me). If i am able to make someone laugh and relieve their stress and get more oxygen, i am happy that i am able to contribute in some way to make the society happy, enjoyable and a healthy place. Isn't that great!

2. While others think they ar elaughing at me, i believe it gives me an opportunity to laugh and be happy myself (even if that means laughing at a joke on myself). Laughter is the best medicine and this is a sort of laughter therapy for me, that too for free. Isn't that wonderful!

Photo by Bruce Warrington on Unsplash
3. I am passionate about volleyball, but not very good at it as you would have seen. So, to get an opportunity to play, if i have to do some running around and be a part of the joke, i don't mind. This way, while i am increasing my physical activities (which is good for health), i am creating a need for myself, a position which no one would like to take. That way not only i get to play but remain in demand as well. It cannot get better than this, can it!

While listening to him, i realise eh taught me a very valuable lesson in life, lessons which are very much relevant and important in today's corporate life. The lessons that i learnt, i am sharing with all my readers and followers. For some it would make perfect sense, for others it might make little sense but i am sure you will all realise and agree that these lessons are very valuable.

READ THEM, THINK THEM AND APPLY THEM as you deem fit in your corporate life or situation.

Lesson 1: Look within and not outside

People often look outside or to others for pleasure or fulfilment, for validation, security, to love, while the happiness lies within.

Lesson 2: Don't make thinking a disease

Today, we all think too much even if the situation doesn't warrant it. If you can do something about the problem or situation, just go ahead and do it and don't waste you time and energy in wasteful thinking. Similarly, if things are not in your control and if you cannot do anything about it, why keep thinking about it. Thinking will not make any difference , so just leave it and move on. Don't let the mind use you and make you its slave. If you find it difficult to stop thinking, write it in a piece of paper and get rid of the thoughts.

Lesson 3: Be selfish, think about yourself first

The most important person in your life is "YOU", everyone else comes later. This doesn't mean you don't care about others or start backstabbing others, it just means that you give the required attention and importance to "YOURSELF". If you have taken a flight ( i am sure everyone has done it these days), you would have heard flight attendants instructions in the flight, they say, in case of an emergency (during low pressure etc.), put your mask first and then help others. It simply means, you cannot help others if you are not in your senses (read it as healthy or in a situation to help others). Volley-boy, as he said, looked at his own benefits. In corporates as well, you need to manage work life balance and be selfish if you have to say "NO" at times to maintain that balance. You, your health, family come first and then office (of-course you have to pay your EMI's so don't forget that and don't do something which might compromise that 😬).

Lesson 4: Be Happy

The most important lesson he taught was - BE HAPPY. Be happy in every situation and don't let others reactions, responses or actions control your life. Let you only fill the blank pages of your diary (read life) and define how you see it and what you see in it.

While talking to him, i did not feel i was talking to the same volley-boy but rather he was a very matured, level headed, patient, and full of life person. So, think thru it and be the Volley-boy of your life.

This article is dedicated to Amit, Vijay and Gopal because of whom the thought and article of volley-boy came up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tirupati to Tirumala by Footpath

Holy Trip to Rameswaram (Madurai, Rameshwaram & Kanyakumari)

Trip to Vaishno Devi